The PADI Drift Diver Specialty course teaches you how to enjoy going with the flow as you scuba dive down rivers and use ocean currents to glide along. It feels like flying – except that you’re underwater using scuba equipment.
Drift diving can be relaxing and exhilarating at the same time. If this sound like fun, then the Drift Diver course is for you.
- ABOUT ALL SPECIALTIES
- Padi Drift Diver
What to expect:
Becoming a specialty diver is a wonderful adventure!
1. Knowledge Development
- Simply pick up your materials from Tarpoon Lagoon and you can start studying in your own home
- We will then schedule a classroom session to review what you've learned
1. Open Water Dives
- Depending on the specialty you choose, you will participate in anywhere from 2 to 6 immersions
- You will practice many real life diving scenarios
- Debriefing with your instructor to critique and improve your skills
What you will learn:
Along with drift diving techniques and procedures, you’ll:
- Receive an introduction to drift diving equipment – floats, lines and reels.
- Get an overview of aquatic currents – causes and effects.
- Practice with buoyancy control, navigation and communication during two drift dives.
- Learn techniques for staying close to a buddy or together as a group as you float with the current.
Get credit! The first dive of this PADI Specialty Diver course may credit as an Adventure Dive toward your Advanced Open Water Diver certification – ask your instructor about earning credit.
How can you start learning now?
Pick up a PADI Drift Diver Manual and the Drift Diving video to start learning immediately. Stop at Tarpoon Lagoon Dive Center to enroll in the course and pick up your independent study materials.
What scuba gear will you use?
Along with your basic scuba equipment, you’ll learn to use various surface marker buoys and floats with lines and reels. Ask your PADI Instructor at Tarpoon Lagoon Dive Center about other equipment you may need to get the most of your drift dives.
Choosing and using your scuba gear is part of the fun of diving. In Tarpoon Lagoon we will help you find the right gear. Each piece of scuba equipment has a different function so that together, it adapts you to the underwater world.
Depending on your course of choice, you may need some topic specific equipment in order to complete the course successfully. These items may include things like a camera, wreck diving arrows, flashlights or gloves. Be sure to inquire about what you need for each lesson and the Tarpoon Lagoon staff will be happy to guide you in your selections.
These have a personal fit, and Tarpoon Lagoon we will help you choose gear with the best fit and features for you.
The kind of gear you’ll need depends on the conditions where you dive most.
** 10% OFF for our students.
Personal items to bring:
- Change clothes
- Lunch / Money